Public liability includes claims for compensation following injury due to a legal liability of the manager or owner of premises. Some people use the term slip/fall for public liability. As experienced public liability lawyers here in Brisbane, Ipswich and beyond, we can assist you in making a claim for your injuries.
EXAMPLES OF PUBLIC LIABILITY CLAIMS
Here are just some circumstances where Public Liability may apply with simple examples being:
- Rental Premises. For example, a landlord fails to maintain stairs that collapse and hurt someone.
- Schoolyard. A school fails to supervise or instruct children undertaking a dangerous activity.
- Shopping Centres, Stadiums. For example, the managers leave a hazardous spillage for too long.
- Private Dwellings. For example, someone slips on your stairs. Often people get an injury visiting a friend’s or a neighbour’s home.
- Parks and other Public Places: an obvious danger exists that Council did nothing about.
- Animals: For example, a dog bites you, or a horse throws you when the riding school knew it to be wayward, but you didn’t.
- Show Rides & Amusement Rides. For example, a finger is caught in a securing mechanism.
- Boating. A collision of two boats or a single boat accident caused by the fault of the skipper.
- Aviation. In one case, boarding or exiting slippery stairs that are not under shelter in bad weather.
- Food poisoning or allergies. For example, being served peanuts in a dish after telling the restaurant you were allergic to peanuts.
- Physical assaults. This means that any physical assault may be the subject of a civil claim for compensation.
- Wrongful death.
INSURANCE COVERS MOST PUBLIC LIABILITY ISSUES
In most cases, insurance will cover any claim for compensation. It is rare that companies and businesses do not have insurance cover. However, Government Departments, Public Hospitals and the like have the State behind them. Other “self-insurers” are big businesses that handle their own claims rather than taking out an insurance policy.
Home contents and boating policies cover most public liability claims. For example, if you are a homeowner with insurance, you would have cover if a visitor fell down your stairs.
However, whoever provides the cover, if you have an injury on someone’s premises, then you will need a public liability lawyer to get the best result for you.
Time limits apply! If you feel that you may have an entitlement to claim compensation for a public liability type event, please contact our expert public liability lawyers to discuss your matter.
If you are in any doubt about your right to claim for public liability, please contact us without obligation. This is why we are No Win No Fee lawyers (find out more about no win – no pay here). We are available for home visits in Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and out to Toowoomba. We practice in Queensland and Northern NSW.